Christmas in July: Day 3 Feeling Sporty? - Queen of the First Grade Jungle

Christmas in July: Day 3 Feeling Sporty?


christmasinjuly3
If you are a regular reader of my blog then you know fitness is a big focus on mine right now!  With the recent move, it has gotten a teeny bit of track, but not for long.  My sister asked me to run a Half Marathon in November.  You read that correctly. A HALF MARATHON. 
Now for some people that may not be a big deal, but it is for me.  I don’t particularly LOVE running.  In fact, I’m not sure I even LIKE running, but I do like setting goals for myself. I am using RunKeeper on my phone, and I signed up for a sixteen week  training schedule. So I guess it’s a done deal. Pray for me :)

So fitness leads me to Day Three Deals:  All about the Sports!
 sporty cover
Sporty Preview 
Sporty Kids Math Work Stations:  Even though I made this unit almost two years ago, it is still one of my favorite units.  I love encouraging my students to be active, and I know that by pulling sports into my instruction I plant a little seed in their brains. 
photo (15)
I also LOVED using some of these activities in small group so I could see what kind of mental math strategies we had going on.  Anyone else continuously blown away by what kids can do??? I think I was literally bouncing in my chair as my kids explained which addends they would attack first and why!
Now if you don’t need the whole set, but want just one game for early finishers…
sporty5 
 sporty7sporty6
I have just the game for you! 
(I think on sale, this game is a whopping 80 cent—oops)
I also have this quicky game for Early Finishers called Climb to the Top.  I used this game for my advanced students who were ready to start multiplication.
 sporty mul sporty mul2
My last deal for today is my Touchdown Centers.
sporty8
Now I obviously used these centers the week of the Super Bowl, but if I am completely honest with you---I also used them for a good couple of weeks after the Super Bowl too.
I know I am not the only teacher that stretches a big event am I?
sporty9
I also used the printables in my homework pack for the week! sporty10
If you go to the preview for this unit, I have a little surprise for you!  In the preview, I included this Telling Time Printable for free!
sportyfreebie
I am having so much fun looking through the stuff that I have created, and I hope I am giving you some things to help get you ready for next year.
Yesterday I was stuck on the couch with Emmie, who I THOUGHT was sick.  Turns out we think she just drank several gallons of salt water during all her “surfing.” 
photo (16)
Ha!  I think she learned her lesson!  Anyway, during that time I spent WAY too much time figuring out Facebook Fan Freebies!  Thank goodness for Ms. Fultz and her tutorial or I may NEVER have figured it out!
Click on the picture to go to my Fanpage and grab a Daily 5 freebie!
baa50618e80a11e2930d22000a1fb865_7
Don’t forget to come back tomorrow!

your photo name

5 comments

  1. I looooove being active and do my darndest to plant those seeds too! (as well as sharing my addiction to vegetables to my kiddos!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS- the week of the Super Bowl is one of my faaaaaavorites!!!!

      Delete
  2. I love your sports packet!! I'm not a runner either, but want to do a marathon as well!! I know you will do GREAT Katie :)


    Ashley
    The Teacher's Treasure Chest

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sports are a great way to motivate kids. Good luck on the half-marathon, that is quite a challenge to tackle in addition to all the other things that keep you busy!

    Tara
    The Math Maniac

    ReplyDelete
  4. Best of luck on training for your first half. I also just signed up for my first, too! Have you read the book- Run Like a Mother? It was very inspirational, helpful, and funny. As a mom and a runner, you will probably relate. And thanks to Kristi, I finally figured out how to make fan freebies, too. She's awesome! Thanks for sharing your activities.
    Meghan
    First Grade Hugs and High Fives

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top